Tuesday, June 2, 2009

My New Boudoir Chair

This is yesterday's project. It took me a day.

Here's the before...

I just completed redoing the bedroom and there was a corner that needed a small chair to soften and balance the room. You have to understand that I like things done yesterday so this called for an emergency trip to VV boutique (my favorite Value Village outlet). And ...there it was, the perfect chair for $19.99.

Polka dot is not my thing so... off to Fabricland (another favorite) to get fabric. I always carry with me pieces of fabric or paint chits of the project of the day...along with a measuring tape and my camera. Soooo, I'm thinking turquoise blue...not sure if I want stripes or solid. Quick peruse throught the cheap section at the back, my heart is pounding...I spot it...there it is in all its glory...a turquoise lamb velvet (never heard of lamb velvet!) at 50% off!!! So $14.00 later I can't wait to get home to get started.

This is an easy one, no sewing required. I'm thinking...I can get this done before the day is over.

Perfectionists, abstain!!!! I have my own vocabulary to describe tools and such...stay tuned for the video clips I will be adding sometime in the future.

How to:

Step 1-Remove the fabric piece by piece (to use as my pattern). On the pieces I write B for back, S for seat, you get the idea. The first layer you remove will be the last you will replace.

I use a flat head screwdriver and a pair of pliers to remove the staples and small nails.

I save pieces I can reuse (strips inside the pleats, light fabric under the chair,usually black or white).

Step 2-For this chair I wanted the wood darker. I used left over black stain (follow the instructions on the can).

It needed to dry overnight but...remember I wanted it done yesterday. After a few hours it was still sticky but I couldn't wait. Using my pattern I cut the new fabric and stapled it piece by piece. That's when the oops! happened...I had stain all over my pants and my hands but... not on the fabric!!! Yeah...no reason to stop. I completed the chair by the end of the day. I will need to put another coat of stain...very carefully!

My advice:

Do not do as I do. Do the stain, wait until it completely dries, then proceed with the fabric. Did I say I was definitely not a perfectionist?

End result...It looks amazing and my soul is happy.

...here's the after.

1 comment: